Madera County Fire, Company 11

North Fork Fire Department

Seasonal Home Fire Safety Tips

Each season presents its own unique home fire safety concerns.

 

In winter, you depend heavily on your heating appliances. Remember:

 Keep your furnace clean and check that the pilot light is working.

 If you use a space heater, keep it away from combustible materials.

 Make sure the wiring is sound.

 Have all alternate heating sources such as a wood stove examined by an expert to make sure they are functioning properly.

 Do not use the oven for heating.

 Clean and check fireplaces and chimneys regularly.

 

 

A holiday Christmas tree is a source of joy; but if you're not careful, it can also lead to a fire. Remember:

 Buy a tree whose needles haven't dried out.

 Place the tree away from any heat source such as a space heater or fireplace.

 Keep the tree away from exits.

 Buy consumer-inspected Christmas tree lights, and do not overload the circuit with wiring.

 Turn off the tree lights when you go to bed; never leave them on when you're not home.

 Discard the tree as soon as the holidays are over, and even sooner if it starts to dry out.

 

 

Summer is the time for outdoor barbecues; and it's also a time that places heavy demands on appliances that cool the house. Remember:

 When using window air conditioning units, take care not to overload circuitry.

 Have the units serviced by a technician at the beginning of the season.

 When barbecuing, keep charcoal burners at a safe distance from the house and from anything else that's combustible.

 Avoid using high-flame charcoal burning fluids.

 Don't wear loose-fitting clothing while cooking any time of the year.

 

 

Install and Maintain Smoke Detectors!

 Install a smoke detector on each level of your home and outside of each sleeping area.

 Follow the manufacturers directions, test the unit once a week.

 Replace the batteries twice a year, remember to change your batteries when you change your clock for daylight savings time.

 Donít ever take out your battery for other uses!